Pages

Thursday 7 February 2019

Keep on Truckin'!

Afternoon all!

Blimey, these blog posts are beginning to look a lot like buses aren't they?  There's none for ages and then two come along at once! Now that I'm back in the groove I didn't want to lose momentum so thought I would go right ahead and move along.

It's a cold day here in the desert!   It's not very often that I have to break out an actual jumper (or sweater depending on which side of the pond you are reading this) but today is one of those days.  Not only a jumper either, but jeans and furry Ugg slippers as well! Brrrr!  Still, I know we can't really complain compared to the weather almost everybody else has been having of late ... and at least we still have that blue, blue sky that I love so much here and bright sunshine.  Perfect!

Anyway, enough wittering about the weather and on to today's project - this adorable Vintage Truck!

 

I love making 3D paper craft items and am a big fan of the designs over at SVG Cuts since discovering them a few years ago. All the pieces are enclosed within a SVG (scaleable vector graphics if you're interested) file that you then cut out on an electronic die cutting machine (I used my Cricut Maker). All the projects that Mary, the designer, comes up with are just incredible and her attention to detail is second to none.   If you get chance, go on over to svgcuts.com and have a look - it's AMAZING what can be created with just paper and glue!  

I fell in love with this vintage red truck ...


and had fully planned to make it as a decoration for Christmas and maybe add a tree and some parcels in the back, but completely ran out of time 😐  I still wanted to have a go at making it though so thought I would try it in a different color.

After uploading the file to Cricut Design Space and cutting out all the pieces, (there were eleventy billion) I almost gave up right there and then when I looked at the pile and realized just how time consuming it was going to be to actually fold them all and glue them together!

aaaarrrghhh!
Determined, not to be defeated, and equipped with Mary's excellent video tutorial, I took a deep breath and got going.  Despite the huge number of pieces, it was actually fairly straightforward to put together (the most stressful part being the 30 minutes I spent rummaging through the bin after realizing I had chucked away the two tiny silver door handles thinking they were rubbish! 😩  Why I didn't just cut two new ones I will never know!)

truck body coming together ... complete with pesky door handles!
The best bit of advice I can give to anyone wanting to give it a go themselves, is to go slowly and take your time; use wet glue with a fine tipped nozzle and apply sparingly so that it doesn't all ooze out of the sides and if you get frustrated ... walk away and come back a bit later!  Those all worked wonders for me ... oh ... and swearing ... that helped a lot! 😂


Love it!
I love how it turned out!  You could totally adapt this for every season - maybe a pastel colored one filled with spring flowers or some decorative eggs for Spring would be nice?

Thanks for stopping and see you next time.
TTFN x

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Bev!!! How cool!! It looks fantastic! Loved reading your blog post about it, too! Thanks for the kind words and feedback! Thanks for taking the time to share your photos and story! <3 ~Mary

    ReplyDelete