Pages

Saturday 23 August 2014

It's the weekend, so why not treat yourself to a Pizza?! (except this one is calorie free!)

So, this week was Week 3 of my personal Bake Off challenge and I'm still in the game!  Get in!

I approached this week's category of Bread with some trepidation as just the thought of all that complicated kneading and proving brings me out in a cold sweat!  I have only made one previous attempt at a hand kneaded bread dough before (about 40 years ago!) and the results were ... hmmm, let's see, how did my Domestic Science teacher put it ... 'less than satisfactory'!  I will never forget the humiliation as she cut into my carefully nurtured loaf to reveal one giant air bubble with a crust on top!  Oh the shame!   I therefore decided on a sweet bread rather than a traditional loaf and so I opted for a giant cinnamon roll, topped with a maple vanilla glaze ... I know ... good choice eh?!  The amazing smell as it was cooking permeated the whole house and I was immediately transported to the shopping malls of the US ...  if only ... sigh :(
**Oh, and by the way Miss Bentley, if you happen to be reading this ... not an air hole in sight!**  

In keeping with the Bread theme, this week's crafty make was really the result of another one of my "I want to learn how to make ..." quests, this time being a mini pizza box.  As soon as I saw one of these cute boxes these I thought how useful they would be to fill with either little note cards, sweet treats or small gifts and given that you can make one from a single piece of card, they are very economical too!  A quick search on t'interweb yielded a whole host of tutorials, but I opted to follow one from Dawns Stamping Studio.



It was really easy to do and I have detailed the steps below in case you want to give it a go!:







Your box is now ready to decorate using stamps, decorative papers, embellishments, ribbon, whatever you like - how simple was that?!

I made another sample, just using a piece of A4 cream card stock that had been in my stash for ever, (think it was from one of those 'stack a box with A4 card' from a craft event somewhere) this time using a strong double sided tape instead of wet glue to see which held up better.   Both gave a good bond which held up well, but the wet glue is probably the more robust of the two if you want it to withstand a lot of handling (I used Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue as I find it dries really quickly and you don't have to have the arms of an octopus to hold them all down while they dry!).  I then experimented with a bit of stamping and some inking around the edges and made a 'belly band' to slide onto the box instead of ribbon (this was made from a 1" x 11" strip of card leftover from the bit I cut off my original A4 sheet).







Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed this week's crafty visit! 

Finally, for those that are curious, here is a picture of the Cinnamon Roll (which didn't last long once the boys got hold of it!).  Can you smell it?!!  ... next week is Desserts ... bring it on!

TTFN
Bev x

1 comment:

  1. Lol! I love your post Beverley! Great little Pizza boxes too!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete