Pages

Monday 20 July 2015

A lightbulb moment ...!

A little while ago, Mr Crafty Cow saw a motivational quote on a poster belonging to one of our friends who owns and runs Development Matters, a Management & Business Development  Consultancy back in the UK,  and instantly wanted one for his office at work.

After studying it for a while, I wondered whether I could possibly make something similar using my Cricut machine and so decided to have a play.  Mr CC wanted a smaller version in a frame that he could display on his desk (as those who know him will also know that he is severely 'DIY challenged' and therefore anything that requires hanging on a wall is a non starter!).

After finding a frame that he liked at our local Home Store which was 8" x 10", I went about creating the template in Cricut Craft Room.  I played about with the lettering from the cartridges I already owned, but in the end went with the font from the free Cricut Craft Room Basics as this seemed to work the best.   The original poster featured a crown,  however,  as I didn't have anything suitable on any of my cartridges (and buying a new one just for the one element seemed to defeat the object of the exercise) I decided to use a lightbulb image from the Cricut Alphabet cartridge (I just used the blackout image as I didn't want the swirly bits!).

I then cut it out from a red cardstock with gold foiling which came from the gorgeous DCWV stack called 'Dear Jane', and using the negative image, matted some plain white card behind it.  (This was infinitely easier than using the positive images and trying to line them all up exactly!).

Here's the end result ...



I am still not too sure about the light bulb and think I would have preferred a crown, but that would have increased the cost by at least another $20 for a new cartridge.  As it is, it just cost $9.99 for the frame and two pieces of card that I already had in my stash.  Mr CC loves it, which I guess is all that matters, but I am still undecided.  What do you think?

Here is the original piece owned by our friend (thanks Julia!) .... and if you are in the market for any coaching or leadership development, check out her website and testimonials over at Development Matters!





No comments:

Post a Comment